******************************************

WELCOME TO GOTHIC DIVINE!

THIS BLOG WAS CREATED IN NOVEMBER 2009 WITH THE GOAL OF GATHERING ALL INFORMATION POSSIBLE ABOUT GOTHIC CULTURE.

IT'S NOT A PROPER MAGAZINE SO DON'T TAKE US TOO SERIOUSLY.. :)

SO FAR MORE THAN 300 POSTS ABOUT MUSIC, FASHION, ART, MOVIES AND CURIOSITIES HAVE BEEN WRITTEN!

SUPPORT GOTHIC DIVINE BY COMMENTING THE POSTS, ANSWERING THE POLLS AND SUGGESTING OR SENDING US LINKS OF INTERESTING GOTH-RELATED TOPICS!


GOTHIC DIVINE... YOUR GOTH MAGAZINE!

NEW: Are you a goth artist, an illustrator, a musician, a band, a writer, a model or a photographer? Want to make yourself known among goth community online? To be featured or obtain a free interview in Gothic Divine Magazine it's easy: leave a comment in the guestbook with your name,your job or hobby (model, photographer etc.), your email address where we can contact you and a link to your website.
Incomplete "applications" won't be taken taken in consideration.

RECRUITING NEW COLLABORATORS FOR THIS BLOG!! Click on link below for more information

Followers

27 July 2011

Goth VS Goth -Close encounters of the third kind-

undefined


You surely have noticed the poll right under the followers section. The one asking about your reaction when you meet another goth on your way. The question might have sounded stupid but if you see the answers are not as obvious as you thought they would have been. I had the idea of making this poll because when I meet another goth, usually my reaction is to look down and keep going on my way and I see that I'm definitely not the only one!! There are some psychological explanations to this reaction:


*You are afraid to be unaccepted. You think that the other goth could judge you and tell you that you not goth "enough" and that you could get hurt by such a reaction.


* You are afraid to show you are a happy charming sociable loving person because that doesn't fit the stereotype of goth being a loner, cold, unhappy person (-_-")

*You look down and keep going you way because you want to show to the other goth that you are cooler than him/her, that you already got a life and already have a goth clique to hang with and you don't need him/her.

Ok this last one might sound selfish but this happens very often, not only with goths but also among all the people of the world! It's the most common reaction that people have with other people. It's the main reason why people have Facebook. Because they want to show how cool their life is, that they always hang out and do crazy funny stuff...in your face! Sad right?
I believe people should correct this behavior because it makes people even more selfish and could deeply hurt others and why? For nothing..because in the end we all die alone anyway xD

Anyway, as for goths, this behaviour in my opinion is really damaging goth culture. Instead of looking down or just staring pointlessly, we should at least smile at the other goth. Show that we appreciate him/her. Even dare to say "hi" or "Cool, we got similar style!" and start a conversation maybe..! Supporting goth culture means also trying to create a connection between goths, create one large group! :) And that's why I will change my reaction when I will meet another goth on my way to a more pleasant reaction.

I say this because as you might have noticed from the poll, many people don't even have the chance to meet a goth on their way because where they live they are probably the only ones! So you meeting one and doing nothing is almost disrespectful towards those who can't even "look" at another goth "beside their own reflection in the mirror" :P



Also there's no reason to be afraid to talk to another Goth, because they are like you!! He/she is not an alien!! (That's why I put "close encounters of the third kind" as title..I was being ironic!) Maybe they are having the same "approach issues" as yours and expect YOU to do something..!

So take your chance next time, and don't be afraid!

3 comments:

Mar Qaroll said...

I need to do that, actually. I've only seen about one or three dark clads in my life up close and I never spoke to them. Twice because I was being driven by my...conservative...father and the last time because I...simply didn't know what to do. It would be somewhat awkward, but I hope to be better next time. I WANT to do better next time. And whatever happens happens.

PinkPlumFairy said...

Don't get me wrong, but I think this is some kind of a strange topic.
When I see another alternative creature passing my way, the only thing I think is: Oh, interesting. That's it. I don't fancy people in general.
I discovered that a lot of "goths" can be real jerks, I've got to know a lot until now.
I don't think a somewhat different clothing style makes people worth talking to them.
I know and like people a lot who aren't goth and having only goth friends seems to be some kind of cliché for me.

Whoa, this post sounds misanthropic, I seem to have a pretty negative time...

Unknown said...

@PinkPlumFairy:I didn't say all your friend have to be goth. :) "You already have a goth clique to hang out with etc" was ironic.! What I was trying to state was that sometimes people complain about not having goth friends to share things with but this often happens because instead of having the courage to go and talk to one, we tend to stray away because we are afraid of the reaction..Of course, Goths can be jerks too..we are human after all! XD But it's worth a try isn't it? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...